FAQs About Clamp Together Duct
- What exactly is Clamp Together Duct? Clamp Together Duct is an industrial ducting system that uses an over-center clamp to join the rolled lipped ends formed onto the end of ALL duct components- pipe, elbow, branches, all fittings and specially fabricated parts. Further the system is fully adjustable, utilizing the fact that a cut piece of pipe will slide into either the 11” adjustable sleeve or the end of any fitting. The pipe is then clamped to the sleeve or the fitting by using a rubber O-ring that secures the pipe to the fitting or sleeve as the clamp connects the two.
- What sizes and materials does it come in? US Duct’s clamp together duct system is available in 3”-24” diameters, in light or heavier gauge (up to 10) and in SS, galvanized steel and carbon steel. The clamp together system is built with standard 5’ sections of pipe, reinforced at every connection with the stainless steel clamp. Elbows are available in all/any radius. Branches and fittings are made to requirement and desired configurations.
- How ‘air tight’ is it? The clamp gasket, in rubber or optional synthetics, creates a functionally tight seal. However, for a truly 100% leak free option, consider our US Tubing product!
- I have heard Clamp Together Duct is fast, but expensive. Is that true? Straight pieces of spiral duct are cheaper than straight pieces of clamp together duct but are normally of thinner gauge. Longer length spiral can install with fewer connectors but freight cost usually eliminates that advantage. Fittings (elbows, branches, etc) are about the same when compared in conquerable gauges. The competitive advantage for Clamp Together Duct is that it so easy to install that anyone of any skill level can install the duct in approximately 50-70% LESS time than traditional sheet metal mechanic can install spiral or flanged duct. This makes the Clamp Together Duct very cost effective. Additional savings are derived by minimizing waste associated with common cutting and fitting mistakes associated with duct that requires precision cuts. The simple clamp connectors also allow for disassembly, cleaning, reconfiguration and re-installation- making clamp together duct totally reusable over and over. When you compare the total cost of your system – materials, labor, waste, ongoing maintenance, etc. – Clamp Together Duct is very competitive.
- I’ve heard Clamp Together Duct is light weight. Clamp Together Duct is a joining system. The duct can be made in virtually any gauge to accommodate the pressure and the material being conveyed.
- Will it work for my application? More than likely. Whether collecting fume or heavy particulate, paper trim or fine dust, Clamp Together duct provides the options you need. Wood chips, abrasives, high velocities, and pressures are all handled by the variety of gauges and sizes available for the duct, elbows, branches and other accessories.
- I have another kind of duct now. How can I add clamp together duct to my existing dust collection system? Easily. US Duct makes adapters and connectors to transition virtually any type of existing duct to Clamp Together Duct. If you are repairing or adding sections to your existing system, US Duct can help you design those sections to use Clamp Together Duct and make your installation and ongoing maintenance a breeze!
- Since the duct comes in 5’ sections, how do I adjust the length? The heart of the clamp together system is the ability to cut the pipe and incorporate either an 11” adjustable sleeve or a standard fitting to receive that cut end of pipe. Once the pipe is slid into the sleeve or the fitting to create the length needed, the standard clamp secures the pipe to the rolled lip of the sleeve or fitting by clamping it an O-ring. Precision cutting is not needed. (watch the video).
- What about using slide gates? Clamp Together Duct works wonderfully with a wide variety of gates (full cut-offs, ½ cut-offs, blast gates, air tight gates, auto gates) and any of them can be added using the simple clamp together system. The housings of these products, and all our accessories, are designed with rolled lips.
- Does it work with flex hoses? Absolutely! We make a wide variety of transitions and adapters to allow connections with hoses. We supply hoses, as well, specializing in heavier flex hose (to handle high abrasives) and steel flex hose as well as static dissipating hose.
- How long does it take to get the Clamp Together products? How soon do you need it? We keep a large quantity of the Clamp Together Duct in stock – so much of it can ship the same day that it is ordered. Many custom or non-stock items can be shipped same day or next day, if needed.
- How skilled do I have to be to install Clamp Together Duct? If you can use a tape measure and metal snips or a sawzall, you can install Clamp Together Duct. The product is the easiest duct in the world to install. How easy? Watch our short video.
- How do I hang it? US Duct provides both saddle hangers (to offer horizontal stability) and cable hangers (to make hanging fast and simple). Usually a combination of both types of hangers is recommended to get a balance of stability and simplicity of installation.
- Do I need to find someone else to make other things, like transitions, hoods or manifolds? No. US Duct is a full service sheet metal fabrication shop offering custom as well as standard design fabrication. If you can describe it, sketch it out or send us a drawing – we can build it! We work primarily in gauges up to ¼” metal.
- How do I know what to order? You don’t have to- let us do it for you. US Duct provides take-off, design and estimating services FREE for most projects. If you don’t know what you need, we are here to help you in every way! We’ll make it work for your budget, too.
Have another question? Contact US Duct for the answer!